Immigration Attorney in Gardena and Long Beach


Immigration Attorney in Los Angeles, California

If you have any questions about your Immigration Status, I'd be happy to help. I’m a dedicated and passionate immigration attorney, fluent in English and Spanish, located in the Los Angeles area. Your immigration case matters to me.

Immigration Attorney Long Beach

While immigration laws in the United States are handled on a federal level and any qualified attorney can represent you, it is always advisable to find someone in your local area because there may be local laws and restrictions that will affect your status while living in that state, or even in that county or city. Additionally, some immigrant attorneys focus on specific types of cases, so they are best able to serve their clients. An immigration attorney in Long Beach can assist clients who are facing dangerous situations seeking legal status in the U.S.


The U Nonimmigrant Status, Or “U Visa”

While only 10,000 U visas are given out each year, you may apply for a U visa if you are the victim of a serious crime committed by a U.S. citizen and can assist the police and prosecutors in the investigation. This visa type does not require you to be married or have a qualifying relative in order to apply. You will need to provide proof of serious mental or physical abuse and have a law enforcement officer vouch for you before submitting a “Certification of Helpfulness.” 


The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

If you cannot qualify for a U visa then VAWA may be available to you because there is no cap to how many are accepted each year. VAWA was a major piece of legislation that was initially enacted in 1994 to protect people victimized by stalking, sexual assault, and both dating and domestic violence, and has been updated over the last few decades. In terms of immigration, it enables battered and abused spouses, as well as their children and parents, to obtain a green card even without the help of the U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is doing the abuse. Despite the term “women” being used in the title, this law applies to both men and women. 

You can apply for VAWA self-petition if your spouse is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and they battered or abused you or your child up to age 21. In order to qualify you must:

  • Have been married to and lived with a U.S. citizen or legal resident
  • Had entered the marriage in good faith, not for the purposes of gaining citizenship
  • Prove that the abuse was connected to your divorce if you are no longer with the spouse or are in the process of getting a divorce


Who Qualifies for Adjustment of Status Without Leaving the Country?
Learn about the possibility of adjusting status without having to leave the United States for an interview. Adjustment of status qualifications.
U Visa: What is it? What are the benefits? Is it for you?
Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the U visa. What is it? What are the benefits? It is for you?
How to Qualify for a Green Card if You are Separating or Divorcing
Two available options in which you could qualify for your permanent residency even if you are separating or divorcing your spouse. Qualify for a Green Card!
Received Public Benefits? It Could Affect Your Ability to Immigrate to the U.S.
The final rule on the public charge inadmissibility ground has been made, severely limiting who can immigrate based on income and the use of public benefits.
Parole In Place: Immigration Program for Military Family Ending Soon
Parole in Place, a special immigration program for family of U.S. military, may be in its final days. If you were considering applying, now is the time.
What to Do If Your Family-Based Immigrant Visa Was Approved Overseas
Once your visa is approved abroad, do you have to move to the U.S. immediately or can you wait? This process explained well.

Adjustment of Status

You must have entered the United States legally and have been issued a temporary visa, such as a student visa, and you must be admissible to the U.S. in order to apply for an adjustment of status. You will not be eligible if you have been convicted of a crime or have ever illegally obtained employment in the U.S. In order to apply, you must submit form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status along with supporting evidence and payment. If your parents, spouse, or children over age 21 are U.S. citizens, then you can apply for an adjustment of status if you entered the U.S. legally, even in cases where you’ve overstayed your welcome or worked when not authorized. 


Consular Processing

Consular processing only applies to you when your green card is received through an issuance of an immigrant visa by a U.S. Embassy or consulate. To qualify for an immigrant visa, a family member from one of the family preference categories who is a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident must file a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) on behalf of the person seeking to immigrate. The family preference categories include:

  • A son or daughter over age 21 and is a U.S. citizen
  • A spouse and unmarried children under age 21
  • A sibling of an adult U.S. citizen
  • Married children of a U.S. citizen
  • Unmarried adult sons or daughters of permanent residents

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will notify you of their decision. If approved, the petition will be sent to the Department of State’s National Visa Center (NVC) and remain until a visa is available, and you will receive official notice of this in a Notice of Action. If denied, you will be provided the reasons why. Consular processing can apply to someone who is abroad or is currently in the U.S. without status if they do not qualify for adjustment of status.

If you are located in Los Angeles County, contact the Law Office of Sharon Abaud today to discuss your immigration status. 

What ARE my Clients Saying?

I have never met a person as determined and focused to help her community, as Attorney Abaud

I have never met a person as determined and focused to help her community, as Attorney Abaud. She cares about every single detail of any case. It was a pleasure and honor to work with her for many years. I learned a lot from her.

Angela P. , Los Angeles, CA

Sharon is an amazing immigration lawyer.

Sharon is an amazing immigration lawyer. I had her help me out with a couple of immigration issues. A couple of friends of mine have been able to establish residency because of her. She is very affordable and offers an incredible service to all of her clients. I'd recommend her to everybody!

Esteban , Los Angeles, CA

Sharon speaks Spanish very well and that helped us a lot!

Sharon is a very professional lawyer. She helped my mom with her Immigration process and everything went perfect! She also speaks Spanish very well and that helped us a lot! I highly recommend Her! Muchas gracias Sharon!

Cristina A. , Harbor City, CA

Be Updated with Immigration Issues. Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Schedule Consultation

Do you need help with your immigration case? It’s easy to schedule a legal consultation. If you need help an Immigration Attorney in Los Angeles. Request a consultation now! 


Email Address:
For Immigration Attorney in Los Angeles appointments, call (310) 803-3040. 
You can also Book an Appointment here.
Monday to Friday | 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday | Call for Availability
Follow us on

Enter your text here...